Pot Barley and Adzuki Beans SoupCourse: Main
1 cup dry adzuki beans
1 cup pot barley
1/4 cup spilt chick peas lentils (optional but recommended)
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 cup frozen peas
2 large tomatoes
1 large onion
1/2 cup tomato puree
2 green bell peppers
3 fresh Thai green chilies ( +/- optional)
1 medium size carrot
1 tbsp better than bouillon vegetable broth
6.5 -7 cups water
1.5 tsp onion powder
1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder (or use paprika)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp Caribbean spice blend (I used – “Cool Runnings Caribbean Spice & Roasted Garlic” brand)
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp fresh grated turmeric or 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
salt per your taste
3 large handfuls of baby spinach (optional)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley (optional)
- Chop onions, carrots, tomatoes and bell peppers, keep aside. Rinse barley, beans and lentils and keep aside. Turn instant pot on Sauté function, toss cumin seeds, toast till it starts to release fragrance. Add chopped onion and water sauté till brown.
- Once Onions are browned, add minced garlic, ginger, chili and all the spices and sauté for about a minute. Add 1-2 tbsp. of water if its sticking at the bottom. Add beans, barley and rest of the ingredients except baby spinach and parsley. Add water, better than bouillon, salt. Give it a good mix. Pressure cook for about 17 minutes (or cook on stove top till beans and barley is cooked – about 30 minutes).
- Release pressure, add baby spinach, parsley and adjust seasoning or salt. Give it a good mix. Serve and enjoy!
- This is a Weight loss friendly soup and is very cozy/comforting to enjoy during Fall/Winter.
- Don’t be discouraged by all the listed ingredients, I added tons of vegetables to decrease the calorie density of this soup. Feel free to omit some ingredients or add whatever vegetables you prefer.