Creamy Potato & Mushroom SoupCourse: Soups
Nutrition information per 500g serving:
Calories: 229, Fat: 1.2g, Protein: 13.7g, Carbs: 43.6g
2 lbs baby potatoes or use 4-5 white potatoes
1 can of cannellini or white beans
1 large white onion
7-8 fresh garlic cloves (finely minced)
1/2 lbs of cremini mushrooms
1/4 cup finely chopped chives
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1.5 tsp dried thyem
1.5-2 tsp Umami mushrooms seasoning (+/-)
1/2 tsp chili flakes
Juice of half a lime or lemon
1 tbsp better than bouillon (vegetable base)
1 tsp garlic powder
3-4 cups water (+/- per consistency)
- Thinly chop white onion and toss in a sauce pan on a low heat. Cover the lid and sauté onion for about 10 minutes.
- While onions are sautéing, boil potatoes till soft. Drain and keep aside.
- Rinse beans under cold water and keep aside. Finely chop all mushrooms, chives, garlic and keep aside.
- After 10 minutes, add garlic to sautéed onion and use 1-2 tbsp of water to deglaze pan (or can use light cooking spray if you wish) and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add Thyme, chili flakes and umami mushrooms seasoning. Toss mushrooms, give it a good mix and cook for about 10 minutes.
- While mushrooms are cooking, prep your sauce in a high speed blender by tossing beans, about 7-8 baby potatoes, better than bouillon, garlic powder, salt, about 1/2 cup – 1 cup hot boiled water and lime juice. Blend till smooth and keep aside.
- Chop boiled potatoes in small pieces and keep aside. After 10 minutes, you’ll notice mushrooms have released water, feel free to increase heat to medium and cook for additional 2 minutes till some of the liquid evaporates. After 2 minutes, add chopped potatoes, pour the soup, add about 2-3 cups of boiled hot water and mix. Let soup simmer on low/medium heat for about 5-7 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally.
- Once done, add chopped chives, mix, add some fresh ground black pepper and serve with a whole grain toast or by itself.
- *If you don’t like mushrooms, check my creamy potato soup without mushrooms under soups/salads.
- To keep it low calorie – I didn’t add any coconut milk, butters, oils or cashew cream.