Loaded Sweet Potato for Weight LossCourse: Main
2 cans of white kidney beans (rinsed & washed)
1.5-2 cups of water
1 large bunch of kale chopped (or use frozen)
2 medium tomatoes
1 medium onion
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 jalapeno (remove seeds for less heat)
3-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
1 tsp chili powder (+/- per tolerance)
salt per taste
1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
- Rinse your beans, keep aside. Chop and Sauté onions till they brown on a non-stick frying pan on a low/medium heat. While onions are sautéing chop rest of your ingredients and keep aside.
- Poke sweet potato carefully with a fork and stick it in the microwave for 6 minutes to cook. (or use baked sweet potato).
- Once onions have browned, add chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic, jalapeno and let tomatoes cook till they soften. This may take up to 5-7 minutes. You may wish to add 1/4 cup of water to help tomatoes cook without sticking.
- Once tomatoes soften, add your spices, add 1-2 tbsp of water and sauté for another 1 minute.
Add your rinsed beans, water and let this come to a boil. Add salt per your taste.
- Once beans start to boil, add chopped kale and mix. Let kale wilt, this may take 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat, add chopped cilantro if you wish. Cut sweet potato in half and serve on top of your sweet potato with a side of a large salad and squeeze of lemon/lime juice.
- *Salad I used for this recipe had: English Cucumber, Tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, lime, jalapeno and salt. Feel free to use any other salad of your choice, more salad you add, more filling this meal will become with less added calories.