Red Lentil & Bulgur PattiesCourse: Main
- For Patties:
1 cup dry red lentils
1/2 cup dry fine bulgur (should be labeled #1)
2.5-3 cups water (2 cups for lentils & about 2/3 cup for bulgur)
1 bunch of curly parsley (keep 1/2 cup of chopped parsley for salad)
1 red onion
2-2.5 tsp cumin powder (adjust per your taste)
3-3.5 tsp Sumac powder (adjust per your taste, I found Sumac powder at Middle Eastern stores)
1 tsp chili flakes (+/- per your tolerance)
salt per taste
- For Salad:
1 bunch of romaine lettuce
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1/2 red onion
1/2 pineapple (per your taste or omit)
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
Juice of 1/2 a lime
salt & black pepper per taste
- Add dry bulgur to a pot with 2/3 cups of hot water. Cook on low/medium heat for only 5 minutes. Once water is absorbed, turn off the stove, close lid and keep aside.
- Thoroughly wash red lentils and transfer to another pot, add 2 cups of hot water and salt per your taste. Cook on low/medium heat for about 10-15 minutes till lentils are fully soft. Keep aside.
- While lentils are cooking, you can finely chop large bunch of parsley and red onions. Transfer to a bowl. Add 2 tsp of sumac powder, 1 tsp of cumin powder and salt. Mix and keep aside.
- Fluff your bulgur with a fork, Transfer to a big bowl, pour cooked lentils on top and let this mixture sit on the countertop to cool off. While this is cooling, cut your salad ingredients and keep aside.
- Once bulgur and lentils have cooled off completely, add chopped parsley and red onion mixture into a bowl. Add 1.5 tsp of cumin powder, 1 tsp of sumac powder and Mix. Use your hand or spatula to mix. Please note: only add entire parsley and red onion to lentil/bulgur mixture only if you’re going to be eating them right away. Otherwise only add parsley, red onion mixture when you’re ready to eat. You can store them in the fridge separately.
- Now form your patties one by one and serve with salad. You may also wish to air fry/bake some patties. Patties taste great the way they are or air fried/baked. To bake/air fry, make patties flat and in round shape. Lightly brush air fryer’s surface with oil to prevent patties from sticking and air fry at 400 F for 10-12 minutes. Serve right away with your favorite dipping sauce or the way they are.
- If you’re not going to be eating these patties right away, you can store lentils/bulgur mixture and parsley/onion mixture separately in a air tight container in the fridge. If you mix them, onions will release water and patties will not taste good.