Vegan Stuffed MushroomsCourse: Snacks
Try these stuffed mushrooms this holiday season as your appetizers. These mushrooms are loaded with flavor and very easy to make. You can even wow non-vegans guests with these appetizers! Cashew sour cream is completely optional but recommended. It’ll increase the fat content of these mushrooms but during the “holidays” bit of extra fat goes! If you must, feel free to omit the sour cream and they still taste pretty good!
680 grams cremini mushrooms
1/4 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
1/4 cup corn grits
1/2 small onion
1/2 bell pepper (red or yellow)
1/4 cup pickled jalapeno
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp umami mushrooms seasoning
2 tsp tamari sauce (+/-) (for mixture) & 1 tbsp to marinate mushrooms
2 tsp maple syrup (+/-)
1 tbsp chopped chives (for garnish)
- Cashew Sour Cream
*1/3 cup soaked cashews (in hot water for an hour) or 1/2 cup hemp seeds
2-3 tsp lemon juice (+/-)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
2-3 tbsp water (+/-)
salt per taste
- Cook 1/4 cup corn grits per package directions and keep aside. Soak 1/4 cup dried TVP in hot water and keep aside.
- Clean, dry mushrooms, remove stems. Toss mushrooms to a bowl and add1 tbsp of Tamari sauce, gently give it a mix and let mushrooms marinate while you prepare the stuffing.
- Finely chop bell pepper, jalapeno’s and onion. Drain excess water from TVP in a fine strainer and squeeze out as much water as possible, keep aside. On a medium low heat, toss these ingredients in a skillet, add spices, TVP, corn grits and cook for about 10 minutes. Give this mixture a taste and adjust spices accordingly.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Use this mixture and stuff all the mushrooms. Bake on a grill with a baking tray underneath for about 20-25 minutes. While these are baking, prepare your cashew sour cream in a high speed blender, taste and adjust spices. Once cooked, remove mushrooms from the oven, let them cool, add sour cream on top and garnish with some chopped chives. Enjoy!
- *If you’re using hemp seeds for sour cream, they don’t need soaking.
- Feel free to omit cashew sour cream if you’re watching your fat intake during weight loss phase.