Chana Dhal with Butternut SquashCourse: Main
2 cups split chick peas lentils (chana dal)
500g (2 cups) chopped butternut squash in small cubes
1 large onion
2 large tomatoes
1 tbsp minced garlic
1.5 tsp grated ginger
3-4 Dried red chilies (whole)
1/3 cup tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1.5 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp mango powder
1 tsp chili powder (+/- per your tolerance)
1 tsp turmeric powder
Salt per your taste
4-5 cups of water (per your desired consistency)
1 can (400 ml) of low fat coconut milk (I used this – Affiliate link)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
Avocado oil spray ( 3 sprays, optional or skip)
- Stove Top Instructions:
- Soak lentils at least for 1 hour before you begin. Chop butternut squash in small cubes, keep aside or use frozen.
- Chop onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic. Keep aside. Heat up a big pot on stove top, add avocado oil. Add cumin seeds and toast until fragrance starts to release (about 1 minute). Add chopped onion and sauté till golden brown on low to medium heat. Make sure to stir occasionally. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Once onions have browned add grated ginger and garlic Sauté for about 1 minute. Add chopped tomatoes and sauté for about 5 minutes or till Tomatoes soften. Add tomato paste and all other spices and sauté for about 1 minute. Feel free to add 1-2 tbsp of water if tomato paste is sticking at the bottom of the pan.
- Add rinsed and drained lentils, butternut squash, bay leaves, water and coconut milk. Give it a good mix. Close lid and cook on stove top till lentils are soft. This should take about 30-40 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally, close lid and continue to cook. Once done add chopped cilantro and enjoy over cooked rice or naan.
- Instant Pot Instructions:
- Chop onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic. Keep aside. Turn instant pot on Sauté function. Add 3 sprays of avocado oil. Add cumin seeds and toast until fragrance starts to release. Add chopped onion and sauté till brown. Make sure to stir occasionally.
- Once onions have browned, add tomatoes, ginger, garlic and red chilies. Sauté for about 1 minute. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and all other spices, salt and sauté for another 1 minute. If tomato paste is sticking at the bottom, add about 2 tbsp of water.
- Add rinsed and drained lentils, butternut squash, water, bay leaves and coconut milk. Give it a good mix. Close lid and pressure cook for 12 minutes. Once done, release pressure immediately. Add chopped cilantro and enjoy over cooked rice or with naan.
- Feel free to omit coconut milk but It’s highly recommended in this recipe.
- This recipe makes a big portion, It’s great to cook for meal prep. If you wish to make less, cut recipe in half. Cooked lentils can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days.