Chana Masala/ Chickpeas CurryCourse: Main
*3 cups dried chick peas soaked overnight (12-18 hrs)
6 cups of water (or add more to adjust per your desired consistency)
1 1/2 large onion
2 large tomoatoes
5-6 thai green chilies (+/- adjust per your tolerance)
1 tbsp grated ginger
1.5 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup tomato puree or 1/3 cup tomato paste
4 bay leaves
1/2 tsp grated fresh turmeric or 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp mango powder (optional but recommended)
1 tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
1 tsp chili powder (+/-) per your tolerance (We like it spicy!)
salt per your taste
2-3 tsp Chana masala (adjust per your taste) (I use this brand)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Use soaked chick peas (overnight for at least 12-18 hrs). Rinse them thoroughly and keep aside.
- Turn instant pot on Sauté function, add 1 tsp of cumin seeds and toast till fragrance start to release. Add onions and water sauté till soften. This will take about (5-7 minutes). Add about 1 tbsp of water at a time to Sauté. Once onions have browned, add tomatoes, ginger, garlic, chilies, and cook till tomatoes soften (about 5-7 minutes).
- Once tomatoes soften, add rest of the spices (except Chana masala) and tomato puree or tomato paste. Add about 2 tbsp of water and Sauté for about 2 minutes. Add dried/rinsed chickpeas, water and cover the lid. Turn off Sauté function. Pressure cook for 35 minutes.
- Release pressure if you need it immediately or naturally let it release. Once pressure is released, put instant pot on Sauté function again. Remove bay leaves. Add Chana masala and chopped cilantro and let it simmer for about 2 minutes. Smash few chickpeas with the back of your spoon to make sauce thicker. Turn off instant pot.
- Serve on top of brown or white rice with a squeeze of lime or lemon juice and enjoy! Add a side of salad or sautéed veggies to decrease overall calories of this meal. We serve it with salad made with cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro, red onion, lime juice, some green chilies and salt per taste.
- *You can use 3-4 canned chickpeas if you’re in a hurry. But cooking time will be way less. You’ll probably need 4 minutes on instant pot on pressure cook or about 20 minutes on stovetop.
- Please note: Chickpeas sauce will get thicker as it cools down or stored in the fridge.