Tofu Seitan Steaks (High Protein)Course: Sides
Macros per 122g steak:
Calories: 214, Protein: 30.3g, Carbs: 17.7g, Fat: 2.3g
140g vital wheat gluten flour
*1 block of Extra firm silken tofu
*3 cooked small beets
20g Nutritional yeast
1.5 tbsp club house Vegetable seasoning or use any other
1/2 tsp salt (+/- per taste)
1/2 tsp chili powder (+/- per tolerance)
2-3 tbsp low calorie barbeque sauce (I used Amazing Dad’s BBQ sauce)
- Add all dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix nicely keep aside. Pre-heat the oven at 375F.
- In a high speed blender, toss beets and extra firm silken tofu. Blend till fully smooth. Pour about 210g of mixture on to dry ingredients. With a spatula incorporate wet into dry or use clean hand to form a nice dough. Be careful not to over kneed the dough as it’ll get tough.
- Divide dough in to 4 equal size patties and flatten them out to shape them into an oval or round steak. On a lined baking tray, lay them one by one. Cover the top of the tray with a baking lid or use foil paper to close the top. Bake at 375F for about 30-35 minutes. Make sure to remove them half way through, flip each steak carefully, cover again with a lid or foil paper and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Once done, carefully remove from the oven. Use a George foramen grill or a grilling skillet . Heat up the skillet on a low/medium heat. Put all 4 patties on the skillet one by one and add about 1 tsp of barbeque sauce on each Pattie, brush evenly and flip. Add another tsp of barbeque sauce on other side of each Pattie, brush and cook for about 1-2 minutes max till you get nice grill marks on each side. You may wish to press these patties down with a spatula to get grilling lines. Remove from the skillet and add these steaks to any of your dishes to increase protein. Refrigerate left overs to use throughout the week to any of your meals.
- **You will have left over tofu/beets mixture. You can double up the recipe to use this entire mixture, or refrigerate the remaining to use later in the week. Or check my linked YouTube video for the 3rd option.