High Protein BagelsCourse: Breakfast, Sides
Macros: Per 150g Bagel (without any toppings)
Cals: 320, protein:30.6g, Fat:6.5g, carbs:43.8g
100g oat flour (I used regular GF oats and blended in high speed blender)
50g Vital wheat gluten flour
20g garbanzo flour (chick pea flour, aka: Besan)
30g pea protein powder (I used SproutLiving brand, get 20%off, Code: SlimOnPlants)
210g unsweetened Vegan Greek yogurt (I used Riviera brand – oat based)
1/2 tsp salt (+/-) per taste
1 tsp instant quick rise yeast
1/2 tsp brown sugar to activate yeast (for best results)
45 ml ( about 3 tbsp. luke warm water to mix yeast in)
1-2 tsp everything bagel seasoning (or any other)
1/2 tsp olive oil to brush on top (or use any other)
- To get best results, I highly recommend using food scale to measure out all the ingredients. Toss all dry ingredients in a bowl, mix. Keep aside.
- In a small bowl, add 45 ml Luke warm water, 1/2 tsp brown sugar and 1 tsp instant quick rise yeast, mix well and keep aside.
- Add Vegan yogurt to dry ingredients and yeast water. Incorporate everything nicely with a spatula until it forms a nice dough. For best results use your clean hands or wear gloves.
- Turn on oven light, cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and transfer the bowl to a warm oven for about 60-90 minutes. Let dough rise.
- Preheat oven to 425F. After 60 -90 minutes, toss some oat flour on the surface of your clean kitchen counter and add dough onto the surface. You will not notice a huge rise in the dough but its okay. Gently form the dough into 3 even balls, Press down to flatten the ball, then use your figure to make a hole in the center. Smooth out edges. Repeat the process for all 3 or 4 bagels.
- Turn on the stove and add about 3-4 cups of hot boiling water in a big pot. Transfer bagels gently into the hot water and boil on each side for about 30-60 seconds. Gently transfer bagel to a wired rack and let water drain.
- Transfer bagels to a lined baking tray with parchment paper. Lightly brush bagels on top with olive oil, sprinkle your favorite seasoning on top and press it down with your hands gently. Transfer to hot oven and bake for 15-20 minutes at 425F.
- After bagels are done baking, let them cool completely and assemble your bagels with your favorite toppings and enjoy! Watch my Full YouTube video linked below to see how I made these.
- Feel free to double up the batch for more bagels or divide the dough into 4 pieces instead of 3.
- These bagels are perfect for on the go high protein breakfast or lunch.