Creamy Roasted Red Pepper PastaCourse: Main
1 box of whole grain pasta of your choice (454 grams), I used Spelt
2 large red bell pepper
2 large tomoatoes
1 head of roasted garlic
*654 grams white mushrooms (or use any other veggies of your choice)
1 medium onion
1/4 cup chopped Fresh Basil (+/-) per your taste
2-3 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (+/-) per your taste
1/2 tsp chili flakes (+/-) per your taste
1 tbsp hemp seeds
*2 cups cooked green/brown lentils
salt per taste
1 cup reserved pasta water for the marinara sauce
4-5 cups of hot water to boil pasta
- Cut bell peppers in half, remove seeds and cut tomatoes in half. Put a head of garlic in foil paper and keep aside. Turn on the grill or barbeque and roast bell peppers, tomatoes and garlic. Make sure not to burn garlic (roast it on a low heat if using grill). Turn veggies occasionally. Once Peppers and tomatoes are roasted, keep aside on a plate to cool.
- Cook your lentils in an instant pot . If using canned lentils – skip to step 3. If you’re cooking lentils in an instant pot, pressure cook lentils for 2 minutes. I used 2 cups dry lentils, 3 cups water, garlic powder and some salt. Release pressure once done and keep lentils aside. Note: You’ll have extra lentils, but you can keep it in the refrigerate to use later or adjust quantity accordingly.
- Boil pasta per package directions, Drain and run it under cold water and keep aside. Make sure to reserve about 1 cup of pasta water.
- Chop onion and toss in a frying pan. On a low heat, let onion brown slowly. (this will take about 10 minutes). While onions are browning, finely chop mushrooms and keep aside.
- Once onions have browned, add chopped mushrooms to the pan and Sauté mushrooms till they release water and some water starts to evaporate. (about 8-10 minutes).
- While mushrooms are sautéing, Remove skin from roasted peppers, tomatoes and garlic. Toss everything in a high speed blender along with nutritional yeast, hemp seeds, chili flakes, tomato paste, 1 cup pasta water, and salt. Blend till smooth. Taste and adjust spices/salt as per your taste. Pour it over mushrooms, add chopped basil and Turn heat to medium/low. Let this sauce simmer for about 5 minutes (till it starts to boil). Then add 2 cups of cooked lentils and simmer again for 2 minutes. Turn off stove. If you find sauce is too thick, you may add more hot water and adjust per your preference.
- Once ready, serve on top of your pasta and enjoy!
- *You may use canned lentils to speed up the process or cook lentils in an instant pot on pressure cook for 2 minutes and keep aside.
- You may wish to add more veggies to your pasta to decrease overall calories and to increase volume.