Black Whole Gram (Urad) DalCourse: Main
1 cup black whole gram lentils
1/4 cup split yellow chick peas lentils
*1/4 cup small red kidney beans
6.5-7 cups hot water
2 large tomatoes
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp grated ginger
3 Thai green chilies (optional)
1 cup tomato puree
*1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1-1.5 tsp garam masala (adjust per your taste)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt per your taste
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
3 large handfuls of baby spinach (optional)
- Soak both lentils for 2 hours. Soak kidney beans separately for atleast 6 hrs as kidney beans take longer to cook.
- Chop onions, tomatoes, chilies and keep aside. Turn on instant pot on sauté function. Water Sauté onion till brown. Add tomatoes, ginger, garlic, chilies, salt and all the spices except garam masala. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils, tomato puree, water and give it a mix. Close the lid and pressure cook for 15-17 minutes.
- Release pressure, Turn instant pot on sauté function and let lentils simmer for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add garam masala, mixed baby greens and chopped cilantro. Serve on top of brown rice and side of veggies!
- *Kashmiri chili powder is traditionally very red in color and not spicy. Can be purchased from Asian grocery stores or International grocery Isle in most stores.
- *You may wish to soak kidney beans overnight to make them even softer.